1. Applications are due in Watson Hall 209 by 3 p.m. on Friday, March 30, 2001. Applicants must be NIU journalism majors (except for the NIU Media Award, which is given to an NIU sophomore or junior who has made a significant contribution to a communication medium serving NIU). Applicants must plan to enroll at NIU in summer 2001, fall 2001 or spring 2002.
2. Applicants must submit (1) an application
form, (2) a 500-word signed essay explaining career goals
and journalism-related achievements (such as a job, internship, or
journalism-student- organizationactivity) and (3) a portfolio of
journalistic work with some of the following:
photocopies, not originals, of five published news stories, features, columns or editorials;
printouts of five exceptional journalism class assignments (corrected and reprinted);
five original mounted photographs (which will be returned);
five original layout projects of a student's own design;
three VHS or audio tapes (which will be returned);
an original Web page of a student's own design with original contents;
campaign materials of a student's own design for a public relations campaign.
3. Applicants will be judged by the Journalism Scholarships and Grants Committee on g.p.a. (compared to the g.p.a. of other qualified applicants), on the journalistic quality of the portfolio, and on their level of involvement in extra-curricular campus activities. The committee will match students to specific awards, each worth $300 to $1,000.
4. Recipients will be announced at the Journalism Banquet on Friday, April 27, 2001.
5. These scholarships are funded by alumni annual contributions; friends of the journalism program in memory of journalism faculty; journalism organizations such as the Northern Illinois Newspaper Association; public relations groups such as the Chicago chapter of the Public Relations Society of America; media corporations such as the Scripps League newspapers; major grants; and bequests.
[ ]soph [ ]jr [ ]sr Graduation month/year: ||||| [ ]minority status
Major: [ ]JOUR other: ||||| Minor: [ ]JOUR other:
[ ]print news [ ]broadcast news [ ]public relations [ ]photo-jour
Did you include a 500-word signed essay and a portfolio of journalistic work?
List JOUR courses completed and in progress with grades:
[on printout] Signature: